Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Almost 3 Years Ago...

I wrote this almost 3 years ago, and only a few short months after Carrie's death:


A metaphor for life? Or the product of an overactive imagination? You be the judge...

A few days ago the weather outside was beautiful, warmer than it has been but with just enough of a bite in the wind to warrant a blanket for the 4 month old infant I dragged along with me outside. I sat on the swing in my yard enjoying the fresh air and cool breeze as I watched my three children laugh and play without a care in the world.

My sister Carrie's baby boy, Miles, had his head resting sweetly on my chest while covered by a blanket (a BLUE one Mom!! :) The sky was a brilliant blue with only white fluffy clouds in sight. I sat there and completely enjoyed the moment; thinking of nothing but my abundant blessings until something guided my head in the opposite direction: Towards the sun, which was veiled by several of the most exquisite clouds I had ever beheld. They were the same fluffy white as the others and each a different shape and size, but these were outlined in a majestic bright-white light from the sun behind them.

I was drawn to these clouds as though they were a destination somehow, but something was in the way of my object -- my neighbor's globe willow -- still empty of leaves from the cold winter that is still not quite over of yet. So my line of sight to those beautiful clouds was partially obstructed by the thicket of branches from that tree, and in order to see I had to maneuver my eyes through, between, and around each one. It wasn't easy, but I did it and the sight I beheld was well worth the extra work. The view was simply magnificent.

After staring at the breathtaking splendor for some time, I glanced down at Miles, who had fallen asleep, and immediately related this experience to my own life. The clouds seemed to resemble my desires, aspirations, spiritual understanding, etc. I likened the multiple tree branches to my existence and the many inevitable obstacles that it entails. So while I am currently making my way through the limbs (which often feel more like bramble) of life, I know I will eventually make it to the other side...Here's hoping the rest of the road out is a bit easier than what I've left in my wake. :)

No comments: