Sunday, May 13, 2007

It's Mother's Day 2007

And I am a mother. In less than 6 years I have given birth to 4 babies, 3 of whom are either playing or sleeping in my house at this very moment, the other passed away before his birth. So I have a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a 9 month old. They are absolutely awesome kids; smart, funny, sweet (at times), snuggly, independent.

So this morning those lovely children woke me up with flowers, breakfast, and cards. LOVE IT!! They sat with me in bed and shared my breakfast (lovingly made by my hubby), and helped open my cards. Those moments...you know what I mean. :)



It's now 9:45 AM and I've already dealt with 4 meltdowns. I don't resent my kids and don't love them any less, but I am tired. It's not easy. For a while we've noticed that there have been some issues with Gavin, we put him in a special preschool and made an appointment at an autism and childhood development specialist (where appointments are several months out). We have loved our time there and on the 22nd we have an appointment for our official diagnosis and plan of action. Looks like Aspergers Syndrome.

I am a mass of complex feelings. I am happy that we are able to get the help we need for Gavin and that he is being given the best chance to gain the tools he needs for a more normal life. On the other hand, while not surprising, it is still an adjustment to have a child on the Autism spectrum. As parents we want to help our children navigate their lives (which are hard enough as it is) but when they are thrown a wrench so early on that will be a lifelong struggle it is, as I said, an adjustment. You have to re-prioritize your goals and expectations...it's hard.

They are just so funny. I think I'll try to at least get their clothes laid out so I'm not rushing around in a couple hours. :)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there.

3 comments:

Lori Renn said...

i so love that photo.
damn right it's hard.
joey has AS.
has its ups and downs.
you are so brilliant.
i know you will learn all you need to to help your beautiful bright sun.
know that i'm here and i love ya!
you should blog more!
why don't you comment on mine anymore???

Lori Renn said...

i meant son.
duh.

Anonymous said...

So I see you bogarted some cute tickers for your kids. I wonder whose idea that was? Someone awesome(o) probably (we will have to call).