Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Countdown Continues, Etc

So the night is coming to a close and after it’s over I will have 11 short days until my baby arrives. WOW!! Time didn't "fly" necessarily, but the end went reasonably fast. My appointment on Thursday was OK; I have high blood pressure, headache, swelling, had blood drawn and my doctor ordered a 24 hour urine collection which I completed and turned in this morning; should know the results of that Monday or Tuesday. If my results aren't favorable they might take the baby a week early. Just have to wait and see…

Been dealing with issues in my personal life recently, as one does, and I’ve been thinking about forgiveness and relationships. We can hit a stage in certain relationships where the only way to get on with our lives is to declare an amnesty, to forgive. If we continue to harbor resentments, living our days in anger for past hurts, our mind becomes too small for any joy in life. Although forgiveness can seem like and irrational response to insensitive behavior, once we can forgive we let go of painful feelings and memories that cause us to suffer. It’s an act of compassion we can feel proud of, an opportunity to revel in our spiritual progress. In some cases it’s the ultimate act of love and compassion.

Admittedly, it’s often unrealistic to replace the intensity of anger with forgiveness too soon after a hurtful episode. We can’t forgive simply because we “should”; we can’t force it until we’re ready. Sometimes forgiveness can only be a long-term goal worked at over many years. We may need to suffer agony on the road to forgiveness, but to relieve ourselves of the burden of a grudge, the effort is worth it.

Forgiveness can be a sensible acknowledgement that we all battle with delusion, confusion, and imperfection. It may help to remember the times that we have caused harm to others, acted selfishly and required forgiveness. Or we might find we need to face up to our own responsibility in a conflict—were all our intentions, actions, and utterances wholesome?

This blog is simply the result of something I am personally dealing with; and honestly I’ve only put it into words on “paper” because it helps remind me of my feelings at this specific moment, and where I am at in my growth.

Well, getting later, I should get myself to sleep or I will most seriously be lacking the energy required of a mom of 2 on bed rest. Night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly agree with your point on the subject of forgiveness. Forgiving is one of the things you can do to make your own situation better, and to relieve hurtful words you play over and over in your head. It is a way to heal yourself. What can make it difficult is when someone has hurt you time and time again and you have to deal with them on a regular basis how do you keep forgiving? even if it is for your own benefit?

Anonymous said...

I agree with her. Forgiveness comes much easier with time but still a very difficult task. And just wanted to let you know, you are a beautiful writer!