Why do people rush into relationships? I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, at least since my separation (now over a year ago) and probably prior to that as well, to some degree. I have not had, nor have I had the desire to have, a significant other. I've watched as those around me in similar situations have charged forward from one relationship to the next with reckless abandon; a few of them professing to be "in love" multiple times in just the past year. Pregnancy not being unheard of either.
I suppose it is easy enough to understand that people want to feel loved and desired, who doesn't want that, really? But it would be so much better to know that it's real and NOT just infatuation disguised. Unfortunately I've noticed that most people like to jump the gun and don't worry about the whole "getting to know someone" phase.
Many people are so willing to put themselves on the back burner to have only the idea of a true connection with someone; I find I am not one of these people. I'm not seeking someone to complete me or to tell me how fabulous I am, because honestly if I didn't feel it about myself it wouldn't matter how often or in how many ways someone else told me, I wouldn't be able to believe it.
Is the fact that I want something different than what so many others are willing to settle for make me naive?
Ideally:We wont be codependent
We will have some mutual interests
We will have some varying interests
We will push each other to be better and do better just by being ourselves
We will have our own and get along well with each others friends
We will laugh a lot
We like each other
We wont smother each other and will enjoy being together and being apart
Is that too much to ask for? ;) Apparently so.
No comments:
Post a Comment